UAF Summer Leadership Institute
What is the Summer Leadership Course?
The UAF Summer Leadership course is a one-week summer experience designed to develop leadership skills for students finishing grades 9-12. The curriculum focuses on leadership roles and accountability, team building, leadership styles and situations, motivating others, civic responsibility, integrity, public speaking, changing behaviors, and goal setting.
Students live on campus, enjoy the academic and social atmosphere and get a taste of college life.
For Whom? Students finishing grades 9th-12th
What past graduates have said
“This institute has helped me bring out my potential as a leader.” – K.C.
”I’ve made incredible friendships and…. I’ve learned so much.” – D.W.
“This institute has taught me to shoot higher than you think you can realistically achieve–you just might make it.” – S.F.
“This institute has helped me to define my values and learn what makes a good leader and a good follower.” – E.S.
What should participants expect to learn?
- Learn the principles of values-based leadership, including honesty, compassion, diversity and social responsibility.
- Identify leadership traits and competencies such as interpersonal skills, leadership styles, figuring out what the group needs, assessing one’s own leadership skills, teamwork, goal orientation, motivating others, personal presence and public speaking, ethical decision making and changing behaviors… through youth-adult partnerships.
- Integrate values-based leadership principles and traits in everyday leadership roles and responsibilities.
- Engage in community service to increase civic engagement and social responsibility.
- Develop and practice skills related to self and team reflection to gain deeper meaning and relate current experiences to future applications, with the ultimate intent of continuous character improvement.
- Prepare a leadership self-development plan for the next year and beyond.
- Meet and engage with recognized State leaders who visit the Institute.
- Earn 2 college credits which are transferable to other academic institutions or which get students off to an early start in their UAF academic life.
- Learn to give and receive feedback on performance of leadership skills, build confidence, and build friendships and networks with other motivated, active students.
Birchwood Homes is a sponsor of Summer Leadership Institute. This gift will help keep tuition low and support our efforts to reach as many students as possible.